Re: [ESPResSo] Espresso runs only on one core in a quad core machine

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Espresso runs only on one core in a quad core machine
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:26:42 +0100

Hi!

address@hidden wrote:
There is a problem with some linux machines which I'm currently using for
running my Espresso codes. They are intel quad core machines but when I
put two or more Espresso codes on them, all the programs run just on one
of the cores! These machines work well for other codes and this problem
occurs only for Espresso programs. These are 12 machines that Espresso has
been installed on them one by one and all of them have the same problem.

How do you recognize, how many cores are used? Usually, it will look as though all processes run on the same CPU. How do you recognize the core it runs on? Furthermore, how did you start "two or more Espresso codes"? Did you use mpirun or something comparable?

I asked the administrator but we didn't find any file entitled
"config.log" in folder obj-XXX to attach.

The "config.log" file that we are looking for is in the obj-WHATEVER/ directory when you tried to compile Espresso directly from the source directory. When you called configure from another directory, config.log is found directly in that dir.
So, it would really help if you could send the config.log!

Olaf