RE: [ESPResSo] Re: Radius of Gyration

From: Limbach, Hans Joerg, LAUSANNE, NRC-FS
Subject: RE: [ESPResSo] Re: Radius of Gyration
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:15:17 +0100

Dear Lorenzo,

1 Espresso is a molecular DYNAMICS program, that's one of the reasons it gives
back the real coordinate (and not the folded one) by default. This is important
for example when you want to calculate a mean square displacement.
2 The rg has been implemented for polymers (e.g. all particles are connected by
bonds). Also here for a correct calculation you need the unfolded coordinates.
3 FYI: As far as I remember the primary simulation box is defined by the
corners (0,0,0) (L,L,L) and is not centered at (0,0,0). This is an arbitrary
convention. So you would have to change your rules accordingly.
4 For your case I have the impression that the standard periodic boundaries are
not appropriate. One option would be to confine everything in a box (either
spherical or with help of wall constraints). The other option, which can be
used with periodic boundaries, is to write a routine to calculate rg where the
minimal image distance (see scripts/ABHmath.tcl: bond_length_min) is used
rather than the physical distance. With your rules you would still get strange
results as soon a cluster is on the edge of the box.

Regards,
Hanjo

-L then x=mod(x/(-L))+L (4)if x< - L and mod(x/(-2L))>= -L then > x=mod(x/(-L))