RE: [ESPResSo] Question about bond-angle interaction

From: Limbach, Hans Joerg, LAUSANNE, NRC-FS
Subject: RE: [ESPResSo] Question about bond-angle interaction
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:50:32 +0200

Hello Lorenzo,

With two particles sticking yoour problem is tough to solve, since all
the interactions between two particles are only distance dependend
(included the bonded ones). There are also non spherical potentials in
Espresso like the Gay-Burne potential, but this would make it too
complicated in my opinion.

My suggestion would be the following:
Case 1: two particles collide:
FENE interaction:
inter 0 fene 7 2 (<k> <max dist>)
Identities: p1, p2
part $p1 bond 0 $p2 (Syntax: part <part identity 1> bond <bond type
number> <part identity 2>)

Case 2: three particles collide:
Here depending on the bond angle alpha between the three particles p1,
p2 and p3 (p2 being the particle in the middle) you have to define a new
bonded interaction:
set i 1
inter $i angle 1000 $alpha
incr i
part $p2 bond $i $p1 $p3
(But this would mean you end up with a huge number of potentials (code
will get slow) so it is probably better to define a finite number of
bond angle potentials e.g. one for every 10 degree step)

Case 3: four particles collide:
The same as in case 2, but with a dihedral potential.

This will freeze in the 3D structure in which the particles collide with
each other.

Hope this works,
Hanjo