espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] LB fluid with variable viscosity

From: Michael Kuron
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] LB fluid with variable viscosity
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 14:28:34 +0100

Hi Ivan,

to implement this, you would need a field that stores all four
relaxation times individually (shear, bulk, ghost even, ghost odd) for
each cell. This of course increases the LB's memory footprint and
reading from a field is slower than accessing a constant, so this code
should only be used when variable viscosity is actually needed.

I don't know how well LB with non-uniform viscosity actually works. All
applications that I have seen so far only do that to make the algorithm
more stable in certain extreme situations, but I don't know whether it
produces any reasonable physics. So unless you already know that it
works for object-in-fluid, I'd be careful with non-constant
viscosities. The one thing that comes to my mind is Geier et al.'s
claim that "[c]hanging the relaxation rates locally usually results in
non-constant transport coefficients" (
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2015.05.001), though I don't know how
bad that is. Since you don't want transport between your two phases of
different viscosity, you might actually be fine. In Shan-Chen-like
multiphase models, different viscosities are commonly used, but they do
something more advanced at the interface.

Regards,
Michael