espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] gitter chat for ESPResSo

From: Georg Rempfer
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] gitter chat for ESPResSo
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 01:59:18 +0200

I think most importantly

- redirects information into a format less useful to future people having the same problem

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Henri Menke <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear ESPResSo devs,

On many repos on github I have a seen a button which read »Join chat« and clicking it brought one to a chatroom akin to IRC, but associated with your github account.

This chat makes discussing short questions or new features very easy and seems like a nice extension to the mailing list to me.

Perhaps one of the maintainers could create such a chatroom on https://gitter.im/ for espressomd/espresso (I can't, because I don't have permissions).  Below I have listed a few pros and cons I could think of immediately

+ More responsive than the mailing list
+ Syntax highlighting for code
+ Desktop and mobile clients
+ Does not clutter your inbox

- Might be abused to report bugs instead of raising issues
- requires a github account
- Temptation to deviate from the discussion (typical chat issue)

In light of all these points I still think it would be a good idea.

Kind regards,
Henri