espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] [bug #46210] "analyze pressure" affecting simulatio

From: Florian Weik
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] [bug #46210] "analyze pressure" affecting simulation
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:12:00 +0200

Hi,
Ok, I think a clean way to handle that is via the rotational degrees of freedom. Non-pair forces like this can never be handled in the same way the pair forces are handled (who are the extra forces for?).
If I remember correctly the pressure calculation via the virials works only for pair forces, so the multi-body interactions have to be excluded from the virial calculation.

For now I've moved the lj-angle out of the (inner) pair force loop and made the particles const for the pair forces for good measure. The pressure command should now have no side effects,
albeit still not returning the correct pressure (see pull request). The fact that the pressure calculation is only correct for some interactions is reflected in the documentation.
Of course this dug up other stuff. The affinity interaction from object in fluid was also manipulating particles (bond creation). I am in general not in favor of the force calculation changing the state.
Changing forces is one thing, but integrate 0 actually can do all sorts of things, like creating and removing bonds. I think it would be much cleaner to do a second run through the particle pairs to
do that if it is needed or just flag particles for modification. What do you think?

Cheers,
Florian