espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Compiling ESPResSo

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Compiling ESPResSo
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:22:30 +0100

Hi Mingyang!

Thanks for the feedback.

On 03/10/2011 07:45 PM, Mingyang Hu wrote:
> Our cluster has an older version of aclocal (1.9.6). When I tried
> with my desktop, which has aclocal of version 1.10.1, everything
> works fine. I think it has to do with this line in Makefile.am:
> ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -Iconfig

This is indeed a matter of the outdated version of automake (which
provides aclocal). Version 1.9.6 is from 2005!

Note that you do not need automake/autoconf, not git on the cluster to
compile and run the development version of ESPResSo! Instead, use
"bootstrap.sh" on your development/desktop machine and run "make dist"
there. This will produce a .tar.gz file, that contains the configure
script. If you copy that one to the cluster, it should compile without
problems.

Alternatively, you can also install a newer version of automake/autoconf
in your home dir on the machine, this should also work easily.

> After I added an extra space between I and config, I got the
> configure script with our cluster. So I'm assuming this is kind of
> parsing problem with older version of aclocal.

This is a very simple change, so I will just use that patch.

> for file in init.tcl ABHmath.tcl auxiliary.tcl blockfile_support.tcl
>  bundle.tcl countBonds.tcl pdb.tcl polymer.tcl statistics.tcl vtf.tcl
>  tclline.tcl parallel_tempering.tcl; do \ if test ! -e $file || test
> ! $file -ef /$file; then \ /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 /$file ; \ fi;
> \ done /usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after
> `/init.tcl' Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
[clip]

> Despite of this error, there is Espresso executable in the directory.
> After ESPRESSO_SCRIPTS variable has been manually defined, Espresso
> executable CAN be started. I wonder if this is supposed to happen.

No, it is not. It looks very strange to me - I guess that it is also a
matter of the old automake version. Try my above suggestion to use "make
dist" on your desktop machine, this should solve the problem. If so,
please tell me, then I will just update the requirement of ESPResSo,
because I don't see how to replace that stuff cleanly, and having a
version from 2006 a should be OK.

Olaf

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Pfaffenwaldring 27, D-70569 Stuttgart