erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: Erc & Gnupg?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: Erc & Gnupg?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:13:15 +0100

Hello,

Memnon Anon <address@hidden> writes:

> I use erc and bitlbee for IMs: It works like a charm!
> It seems like there are some jabber clients out there
> who support gpg encryption and I was wondering if
> anyone ever integrated this functionality into ERC.

I would advise looking at “Off-the-Record” (OTM) and especially the
paper that explains why they think OpenPGP isn’t well suited for instant
messaging:

  http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

There’s an unofficial Bitlbee branch that adds support for OTR:

  http://khjk.org/bitlbee-otr/
  http://bugs.bitlbee.org/bitlbee/ticket/115

Adding OTM support into ERC proper would be better since it would make
it usable on IRC as well.  Any takers?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.