erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] Re: autoconnecting to servers

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] Re: autoconnecting to servers
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:28:14 -0500

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm not sure why this is happening, because I can't replicate the
> behavior here.  There are a couple of issues with your config that
> might be causing it.  If these don't help, please describe in more
> detail what is meant by "crashed emacs" -- do you mean that Emacs
> locks up?  Can it be interrupted with C-g?  Is something being
> displayed on the screen in the "irc.arstechnica.org" buffer? etc.

I have updated my config to reflect your recommendations:
http://bzgirl.org/conf/my-erc.el

What happens in the arstechnica buffer is:

,----
| irc.arstechnica.com- *** Found your hostname
| ==> ERROR from irc.arstechnica.com: Closing Link:

|     ottawa-hs-64-26-170-19.d-ip.magma.ca (Bad user info)

| Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...
| ==> ERROR from irc.arstechnica.com: Trying to reconnect too fast.
[18:12]

| Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...

| ==> ERROR from irc.arstechnica.com: Trying to reconnect too fast.
[18:12]

| Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...

| ==> ERROR from irc.arstechnica.com: Trying to reconnect too fast.
[18:12]

| Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...

`----

I am not sure what this `Bad User Info' actually means..
After that initial message, it tries to reconnect immediately despite
`erc-server-reconnect-timeout' being set to 5 and
`erc-server-reconnect-attempts' being set to 2.

Pressing C-g has no effect except after multiple C-g's emacs suspends
and I am back in my shell:

,----
`----

--