Re: Enigma on Steam

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: Enigma on Steam
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:57:46 +0100

Hi Alex,
Hi All,

thank you Alex, we were thinking about Steam as well a while ago. It would be a wonderful platform to showcase Enigma. The distribution fee is not off-putting to me.

However, if I understand the following document correctly, we cannot directly distribute Enigma via Steam due to license incompatibilities:
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk/uploading/distributing_opensource

We would need to release Enigma under another, secondary license, which permits linking to their non-free library. (I don't know why linking to their library is necessary, but it seems to be mandatory.) There were too many people involved in the creation of Enigma to ever see this happen: Enigma cannot be re-released under another license.

However, it might be possible to just distribute an installer or "Enigma maintainer" app with Steam under some liberal license other than GPL. I don't know of any prior examples. Do you think, something like this is allowed by Steam? After all, we would promote Enigma, but "sell" only the installer, not Enigma itself. ("sell" might mean "selling for 0", but I think you get the gist.)

Best,
Andreas