Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:30:19 +0200

Hi,

Am 20.08.21 um 15:04 schrieb Sidney Markowitz:
Andreas Lochmann wrote on 20/08/21 11:15 pm:
Yes, please merge.

Ok, I'll merge macbuild branch

Oh, one question about the dmg files I make.
Should I run enigma --makepreview before packaging the install dmg?

This would make things faster for the users. But --makepreviews unfortunately doesn't place the generated .pngs in the correct folders; you would have to move them by hand.

You can skip this step ... this will make the dmg smaller, but users would have to wait for the icons to be generated when the icon in question is shown the first time.

I remember some angry reply on enigma-devel several years ago, where someone complained about how long generation of the icons needs. That's why I include the previews in the Windows-zip.

mxe-configure and mxe-dist are updated copies of mingw32-configure and
mingw32-dist, matching my own cross-compilation environment (the name
derives from mxe.cc, where I found most of the necessary packages). I
didn't want to interfere with anyone still using mingw32-configure and
-dist (after all, I didn't know if anyone was actually still
successfully using them, and they use different installation paths for
the libraries).

I'll try that out before I actually do the merge to confirm that I'm not about to break that method of building.

Yes, everything still working :-)

Well ... question to all: Does anyone still use mingw32-configure/dist?

Well, I do see that current linux distros now package mingw-w64 and no longer have mingw32, so that's probably obsolete.

Good, another thing to clean up.

The fact that my build needs more dlls was quite a hassle, that's true,

It turns out I was wrong about the resulting of the build in msys2. After running strip and upx on enigma.exe it is similar size to what you get. And a similar set of dll files is required to run it in a plain Windows environment.

Okay.

By the way ... Sidney, I wrote you mails on March 23rd and May 29th
about my switch back from cmake to autotools and a pull request on
Github from someone third. I thought you were just busy, but maybe they
went to your spam folder?

I see them in my mail, and they are marked as read. Sorry, I must have been distracted when reading them, and didn't notice that you made the switch. I did end up noticing that pull request anyway and incorporated it into the changes I made for the mac build.

Ah, great, thank you!

I will have to repair some of the old "new level" packs, because we
moved levels around (thanks to Thomas for providing an updated "Enigma 1.30 new"!). Other than that ... I think we are ready for release? Any other things I forgot? Anyone?

Oh, right ... Windows 7. That's indeed still a problem ... we might have to release without support for Windows 7.

Regards
Andreas