Re: Measuring Enigma's performance: A paradox?

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: Measuring Enigma's performance: A paradox?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 15:47:50 +0200

Hi,

I noticed that Enigma uses less CPU time when something else runs in the background, like a web video. This is easily explained by the CPU frequency stepping up. However, it seems like this effect appears even when I activate/deactivate the Enigma's own status bar (the one counting up the time and displaying the level title) and full utilisation. Let me explain:

To avoid CPU frequency to have an effect, why don't you disable turbo boost?

I run with turbo boost disabled usually, as this reduces how often the fan needs to cool.

On an intel CPU with linux, the following should disable turbo boost (which usually means reducing to a stable CPU frequency):

echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

Regards,
Erich