Re: Updates to emms-mpris: please test!

From: Fran Burstall (Gmail)
Subject: Re: Updates to emms-mpris: please test!
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 21:18:28 +0000

Nice work.  I am going to be travelling for a couple of weeks but will fold all this into emms-mpris on my return.

---Fran

On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 at 18:10, Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:
Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
>> "Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <fran.burstall@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> emms-mpris changes pushed to main.
>>>
>>> Feel free to specify a unifying format.
>>>

>>> Well, the API exposed by emms-volume.el is via emms-volume-*-change which
>>> changes the volume by AMOUNT (a number).  What would be nice to know is
>>> what the number being changed is!  I would like it to be an integer between
>>> 0 (mute) and 100 (maximum volume).
>>>
>>> The pulseaudio controller provides this already via
>>> emms-volume--pulse-get-volume.  None of the others do and I have no insight
>>> as to whether "volume as a number between 0 and 100" even makes sense for
>>> the underlying backends.
>>>
>>> As far as emms-mpris is concerned, it would be wonderful if emms-volume.el
>>> exposed a function emms-volume-get-volume which returned this putative
>>> number.
>>
>> There is now a "volume" branch:
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emms.git/log/?h=volume
>>
>> I'll toss some changes into that which we can discuss.
>
> Now `emms-volume-get' is defined in emms-volume.el in the "volume"
> branch for pulseaudio (instead of "emms-volume-get-volume").
>
> Next I'll see how easy/hard/impossible it is to implement when we drop
> down from pulseaudio to alsa,

amixer getter function implemented. We now also determine the correct
getter function on the fly to avoid getting the volume from one command
line and setting it using another.

This is a real concern, seeing as how amixer, pactl, and mpc can all be
present on a system simultaneously.

Also, note the arbitraty limitation to the range [0-100]. We are going
to ignore over-amplification settings as a rule. If anyone complains, we
can add an exception.

> then finally for mpd.

this is next.