Re: reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 13:42:08 +0000

Hi,

maybe unpopular opinion, but: I don't like EmacsWiki :-).
People often use it to dump their configurations without any
consideration what a potential reader might want or just
need.

Nearly all content either belongs, in a curated manner, in
the manual for the particular software or probably nowhere
at all :-).  That way the information is coupled with the
code and programmers can update the former when changing the
latter (or even just be aware of it).

So I'd prefer to integrate the universal information into
the EMMS manual, (maybe) add a FAQ section for more obscure,
but reasonable configurations, a TODO file for not-immedi-
ately-fixable bug reports/suggestions and recommend users
outline their configurations in mailing list articles and/or
blog posts and link them from the manual, regularly deleting
without remorse any links that are no longer available or
describe configurations that most likely no longer work.

But reworking the EmacsWiki page now will only lead to it
being outdated again in five or ten years down the road.

Tim