Re: Custom window layout for EMMS?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Custom window layout for EMMS?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 14:03:06 -0500

Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
>> That isn't true. Emms doesn't know or care if its current buffer is
>> visible, and Emms definitely doesn't kill a non-visible buffer. For
>> example, I personally have about 11 Emms playlist buffers going at any
>> given time, only one of which current playing and non of which are
>> visible. Remember that Emms playlist buffers are just normal Emacs
>> buffers!
>
> After changing buffer names using:
> (setq emms-playlist-buffer-name "*Music*")
>
> Now I can see Emms buffer but this seems very weird and how are you
> able to spawn multiple emms session as M-x emms takes me back to last
> non-killed emms buffer?

Emms doesn't have sessions, and Emms playlist are simply Emacs
buffers. You can have as many Emms playlists as you can have Emacs
buffers.

The function `emms-playlist-buffer-list' will return a list of all of
the Emms buffers in Emacs.

For instance, on my setup if I evaluate that function I get:

(emms-playlist-buffer-list) => (#<buffer music Classical>
                                #<buffer video Racing>
                                #<buffer video Duke>
                                #<buffer Emms Streams>
                                #<buffer music Modern>
                                #<buffer video Woodworking>
                                #<buffer video Rifftrax>
                                #<buffer video Bill Mason>
                                #<buffer video Ray Mears>
                                #<buffer music Electronic>
                                #<buffer music Jazz>)

...which are all of the my Emms playlists.

Only one playlist buffer is _current_. This means that when you ask Emms
to play a track or go to the next track, it will try to do that in the
current buffer. The name of the current Emms buffer is stored in the
variable `emms-playlist-buffer'.

"M-x emms" will take you to whatever buffer is set in the variable
`emms-playlist-buffer'.

You can create new Emms playlist buffers by invoking M-x
emms-playlist-new, or programmatically by:

    (emms-playlist-new "name of buffer")

More of this here: https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/#Playlists

You can also manage all of your various Emms playlists by using
`emms-metaplaylist-mode'. Section 29 of the Emms manual explains how to
do this: https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/#Managing-Playlists

I hope this is of help.