Re: a way to not close mpv window on next/prev because exwm

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: a way to not close mpv window on next/prev because exwm
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 21:23:16 -0500

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

> I try to manage video files over emms which generally works the problem
> is when it closes the window each time a new file starts the window pops
> directly in my current frame because I use exwm, instead of staying in
> the other frame on the other monitor so is there a way to not close the
> window for changing to the next file?
>
> I used umpv before which should be included in the mpv package that way
> it adds files instead of starting now windows. Not sure if there are
> other ways to keep the window open, but I think you could if you detect
> end of file instead of closing clear playlist and at current file in and
> start playback?
>
> Would that be a new player backend or would a few modifications to the
> mpv backend be enough?

I'm unfamiliar with umpv, but doesn't mpv already reuse a window if
given a playlist?

    $ mpv --playlist=play.list

...should reuse the same window. So I'm unsure of what umpv adds unless
it allows you to append files to already running playlists.

What you are asking seems to be tantamount to Emms managing mpv's
--playlist playlist, which would entail somehow syncing the two.

I use awesomewm, and I watch videos exclusively through Emms, but I
never have a playlist of videos to watch one after the other (and I have
only one monitor) so I've never had this issue.

A good solution would be to config mpv to open its windows always in the
right place. If there is a way to do that, then perhaps emms-player-mpv
can add the option to pass those arguments to mpv.

Another solution perhaps would be to add an option to emms-player-mpv
which feeds the current emms playlist to mpv as an argument to
--playlist. The problem there, as above, is that you would have no way
to edit that playlist once it is sent to mpv.