Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0

From: Fran Burstall (Gmail)
Subject: Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 17:22:13 +0100

I have just pushed emms-info-tinytag.el onto the master branch.

As discussed previously, this is a emms-info method that works out of the box using the python module tinytag.

Good points:

* it works!  (At least for me)

Less good points:

* It is slow, compared to emms-info-libtag.  The emms-info-tinytag takes about 16 mins to build the cache of my 13,000 mp3s with a few flac, ogg and m4a thrown in while emms-info-libtag takes about 9 minutes.
* It is less featureful: tinytag cannot handle dates beyond years (no exact release dates) and does not support original[year,date] or the performer tag or sort-order tags.

While looking into other possibilities, I came across another, perhaps surprising, candidate which looks like it might make a good alternative: exiftool, a perl script aimed at tagging photos, has a surprising good tag reader for audio in almost as many formats as taglib or tinytag.  Certainly it has performer and sort-order tags and can handle full dates..  If there is interest, I will look into making an info source based on that.

In any case, please experiment with emms-info-tinytag.el.  It works for me but I am a mathematician not a programmer!

---Fran

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 01:27, Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:
"Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

>     If you are the person doing the coding, I have no problem with
>     you
>     choosing either tinytag or mutagen. The person doing the actual
>     work
>     gets a say. If we hit a wall when testing one, we'll just switch
>     to the
>     other.
>

> OK.  Expect to see emms-info-tinytag.el within a couple of weeks
> then...

excellent

take your time