[emms-help] M-x streams revisited

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: [emms-help] M-x streams revisited
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 19:55:10 -0400

The streams mode in Emms is a kludge. I've previously commented on a
proposed course of action, but after trying my new streams mode
privately decided that it is no good either.

I've given it some thought and decided on a new course of action. I'm
going to throw this idea out for comment for one month before
implementing it:

    * The entire emms-streams.el file and the associated mode will be
      removed completely from Emms.

    * A trimmed down, native-format playlist file called streams.emms
      will be included in the `lisp' directory (it is technically a Lisp
      file.)

    * The Emms manual will advise that Emms comes with a small selection
      of online streaming stations which can be loaded with `M-x
      emms-add-playlist .../lisp/streams.emms'.

    * The command `M-x emms-streams' will display a message to the
      effect that the feature has been removed, and point to the
      relevant text in the manual. This will persist for the duration of
      a single point release (that is, six months.) Then the M-x
      emms-streams command will be removed.