Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpv ipc-error: connection-error

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpv ipc-error: connection-error
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:37:52 +0500

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 13:59:15 +0300
Konstantin Reich <address@hidden> wrote:

> First, i removed the mpv config file altogether, the error appears anyway.

Indeed, any simple config should be unlikely to cause issues, only
something that controls mpv behavior via e.g. lua and such.

> I used the debug mode, as you suggested and got the following:
>
> emms-player-mpv 3162.1 proc[emms-player-mpv]: start (mpv --quiet
> --really-quiet --no-audio-display
> --input-ipc-server=/home/reich/.emacs.d/emms-player-mpv-ipc.sock --idle)
> emms-player-mpv 3162.1 json >>
> {"command":["loadlist","http://www.ibiblio.org/wcpe/wcpe.pls","replace"],"request_id":66}
> emms-player-mpv 3162.1 proc[emms-player-mpv]: stop
> emms-player-mpv 3162.1 proc[emms-player-mpv]: interrupt (status=signal,
> playing=nil)
>
> mpv -v --version gives the following:
> [cplayer] Command line options: '-v' '--version'
>
> > Which OS/distro it's happening on, btw?
>
> I have the same problem on my work and home computer, both have Ubuntu 18.10.

Thanks.

It looks like mpv is crashing abruptly with some signal (SIGSEGV?
SIGABRT?) when trying to process that "loadfile" command.
Signal itself is not logged, and neither does its stdout/stderr, which
should be the first thing to fix.

Given such signal exit, suspect that it might be some kind of bug in
that specific mpv build.

Running "mpv --playlist http://www.ibiblio.org/wcpe/wcpe.pls"; works
fine for you when run from console, right?

If so, can probably be handled in emms-player-mpv by either
blacklisting ipc option for that specific mpv version or adding
fallback to 'file controls when mpv exits in similar fashion.

Will add more logging first though and report back.
Might be able to reproduce it here in a VM as well, given that it's a
stock distro, which should be easy to spin up.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net