emacsconf-org

Re: Etherpad preparation (was: EmacsConf 2020 schedule, poster, watching

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Etherpad preparation (was: EmacsConf 2020 schedule, poster, watching, and participating)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 07:15:07 -0500

Looks great! I'll be on IRC question-shuffling duty both days.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 12:25 AM Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> wrote:
Hello, Karl, all!

I've updated the pad template and copied it over to https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/emacsconf-2020 (Amin - I added the dash in the URL that you asked for). It includes a link to the conduct guidelines and a CCBY-SA license. The Wikimedia one feels a little prettier than the CCC one, but they look about the same feature-wise, so I'm okay with using the CCC one if that's what you prefer. =) Karl, do you want to make the decision, since you did a great job with the pad last year?

Once we settle on a URL, let's:
We'll probably get questions on the pad and in #emacsconf. We'll ask speakers to keep an eye on the section in their pad, and we can give them questions if needed (Amin, that might be you). If people can hang out in IRC and copy things over, that would be great. It might be easier to keep track of IRC questions if we can get people used to adding something before their question, like Q: (or Q<talkID>: if there are parallel tracks). We can also announce talks by pasting in the first couple of lines of the talk section into IRC - ex:
27: State of Retro Gaming in Emacs - Speaker(s): Vasilij "wasamasa" Schneidermann
Talk page: https://emacsconf.org/2020/schedule/27

Does that sound like it might work? =)

Sacha Chua - sacha@sachachua.com - Blog: sachachua.com

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 6:10 AM <emacsconf@karl-voit.at> wrote:
Hi fellows,

Amin Bandali (bandali@gnu.org) wrote:

> For audience questions specifically, we will be experimenting with using
> a collaboratively-editable Etherpad as the primary means of collecting
> audience questions.  We will be posting a link to the pad closer to the
> event.  If, however, you are unable to access the pad to add your
> question(s), we will still try to take questions from our
> questions-specific IRC channel, and ask one or two volunteers to kindly
> add questions from that channel to the pad on behalf of folks who are
> not able to or prefer not to use the web-based questions pad.

Was there already a discussion on the content of the Etherpad I
missed this year so far?

Should we create a meta-etherpad to collect ideas about the
structure and initial content of the EmacsConf pad?

Do we have a preferred Etherpad service instance? Last year, I was
using (my personal default choice) http://pads.ccc.de/ run by the
German CCC.

Last year, I added some feedback to the pad:
https://media.emacsconf.org/2019/pad.html

- setting up the pad beforehand + mention it on the conference pages
- shownotes pad template according to organizer's preference
  - do we need more than one pad? (Karl thinks that one might be
    enough although it could get large)
- more contributors to the pad ;-) -> motivation/encouragement
- clear (and easy to link to) guideline communication (see more details on
  the pad)

Thanks!

--
Karl Voit