emacsconf-discuss

Emacsconf 2021 presentations in Wikidata

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: Emacsconf 2021 presentations in Wikidata
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:26:51 -0500

Table of Contents
_________________

1. Introduction
2. Ontology no. 1
3. Ontology no. 2
4. Personal thoughts

1 Introduction
==============

  Hello everyone, I'm planning to add the presentations of EmacsConf
  2021 to Wikidata in order for them to be more discoverable by people.

  I've thought of two [ontologies]. They are presented below.

[ontologies]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(information_science)>

2 Ontology no. 1
================

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Ontology_for_presentations_at_EmacsConf_2021.png>

  Advantages

  + The only items that need to be created are the presentations. In
    ontology no. 2, additional items need to be created. As you can see
    in the image of ontology no. 2, these are the additional items:
    "EmacsConf 2021 presentation", "Presentation at day one of EmacsConf
    2021" and "Presentation at day two of EmacsConf 2021".

  Disadvantages

  + There's no concept of day one and day two. If someone wants to get
    all the presentatinos of day one, he would need to get all the
    presentations whose "point in time" is that of day one.
  + If, for some reason, the date of a given conference day is wrongly
    inserted, the date needs to be changed in all those presentations
    with the wrong date.

3 Ontology no. 2
================

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Ontology_for_presentations_at_EmacsConf_2021_with_level_of_hierarchies.png>

  Advantages

  + If, for some reason, the date of a given conference day is wrongly
    inserted, the date needs to be changed in a single place.
  + The level of abstraction allow simple queries to retrieve
    information. For example, if someone wants to get all the
    presentations in day two, he only needs to get the instances of the
    class "Presentation at day two of EmacsConf 2021" while in the other
    approach, he would need to find the date of day two and query items
    that are "instance of" presentations and that are "part of"
    "EmacsConf 2021" and whose "point in time" is that of day two.

  Disadvantages

  + The level of granularity implies that more items than ontology no. 1
    need to be created.

4 Personal thoughts

  Personally, I prefer ontology no. 2.

  If any of you have suggestions/comments for improving this, please let
  me know since I'll start adding this to Wikidata this weekend.