emacsconf-discuss

EmacsConf 2019 updates from September

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: EmacsConf 2019 updates from September
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 23:15:55 -0400

Hi all,

Thanks for the last batch of updates, Sacha!  Here’s a new one :)

- I successfully set up and tested streaming from OBS on my laptop to a
  server of mine using Nginx+RTMP.  Shout out many thanks to Greg and
  Sacha for helping out with this!  Next I will be looking into setting
  up a page with an HTML5 <video> player so people could watch the
  livestreams in their browser.  I’ll also look into recording streams.

- As Sacha mentioned, we tried out both Jami and Jitsi Meet for video
  calls, but didn’t have much luck with Jami.  Jitsi Meet, on the other
  hand, worked mostly fine save for a few minor issues.  Earlier tonight
  I opened issue #4699, “Add license headers for Jitsi Meet's JavaScript
  sources (for LibreJS)”, requesting license information be added to
  Jitsi Meet so LibreJS users could use Jitsi Meet out of the box.

- In case you missed it, the awesome folks at 200ok worked with us and
  have put together a satellite/sister event for EmacsConf 2019 at their
  Zürich office on the day of the conference! As the official EmacsConf
  2019 Zürich satellite, they will be following and watching the
  livestream remotely, and may feature a selection of additional live
  talks parallel to the main track as well.  Read the announcement from
  the emacsconf-discuss archives [0], and be sure to RSVP if you’d like
  to attend the satellite in person, as space is limited!

- I put together a https://emacsconf.org/2019/prepare page on the wiki
  with notes and information for speakers about preparing their talks.
  There’s also another new page, https://emacsconf.org/2019/tips, which
  will serve as a place for gathering useful tips and suggestions for
  speakers, e.g. on recording screencasts using free software tools.

- I finally got around to sending out another series of replies to the
  speakers through last night and today, linking to the above page with
  preparation notes for the talks.

- Regarding an overview of technical developments in Emacs, I’m very
  happy to say that we’ve been in touch with John Wiegley, and he will
  be talking to us about some of the recent developments and awesome new
  features in Emacs!

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacsconf-discuss/2019-09/msg00010.html

Stay tuned for future updates and more exciting news!

Best,
amin