[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Running emacs off ~/notebook/plans/.foo

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Running emacs off ~/notebook/plans/.foo
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:52:23 -0400

"Evan Monroig" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/6/06, thomas knoll <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would really like to run emacs in such a way that all my .foobar
>> files can be in my plans directory. As it is right now, I'm useing my
>> files on three different computers, one of which is network only
>> (never seen the physical machine). It would be much easier if I only
>> had to move around one directory (instead of one directory and four or
>> five other random files).
>>
>> thoughts? or "duh, you do it this way" 's?
>
> Hi, I understand what you mean and I am doing (almost) exactly the
> same. I have a directory ~/planner in my home folder, and I have it
> versionned with subversion (over ssh) so that I can easily switch
> computers.

Ah, I see now.

> My ~/.emacs consists of ony line:
> (load "~/planner/emacs.el")
>
> which contains my settings including non-default directories and files:
>
> (setq planner-id-tracking-file "~/planner/planner-id")
> (setq diary-file "~/planner/diary")
> (setq bbdb-file "~/planner/bbdb")
> (setq message-signature-file "~/planner/signature")
> (setq planner-directory "~/planner/plans")

Yep, this would be the best way to go about it.  All you have to do is
track down the configuration options for each of the paths.  If it
isn't configurable, and is part of a Planner module, let me know and I
will make it configurable.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net