Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Org mode vs Planner

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Org mode vs Planner
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:18:28 +0100

David Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> I took a look at it before settling on planner a few years ago.

Surely loads of improvements since that date!

> I don't remember too much about it, but the one thing that did stick
> in my mind was that its handling of tables was much better than
> table.el - faster, less need to rely on menus and more text
> oriented.

Yes.  Tables with org-mode are great.  You can also use orgtbl-mode as
a minor-mode when needed.

I use both planner and org-mode: planner for everyday little tasks,
and org-mode for more longlasting projects that require large notes.

I like the org-mode agenda functions, especially for comparing opened
tasks and deadlines.  But i've not been very far thru planner-deadline
so i may be unfair.

mailer/bbdb/file insinuations are both okay in planner and org-mode
but i do prefer the planner way.

The thing with planner is that i can't help having the feeling that
there are to many tasks on my dayly pages!  It makes me feel guilty -
so i tidied up everything and put the biggest projets in separate
org-mode pages.

I've been living like this for three weeks and for now, no major
problem!

--
Bastien Guerry