[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-gtd.el -- (very) rough beginnings

From: Mark Simpson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-gtd.el -- (very) rough beginnings
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:12:14 -0500

    Sacha> Mark Simpson <address@hidden> writes:

    Sacha> I use task sorting to separate my contexts. C-u
    Sacha> sacha/planner-score-sort-tasks makes it easy to bubble up
    Sacha> tasks with a certain keyword. I also have this other
    Sacha> planner-sort-task-key-function that sorts by time,
    Sacha> priority, and a few other things. With a little tweaking,
    Sacha> I'm sure we can get it to sort by @____ - whatever word's
    Sacha> in your context!

I'll have to look into this, it might be enough for what i need.  I
currently use a context 'tag' at the beginning of the task and then
use a shell script to grab them from my project files.

    >> (defun planner-gtd-read-name (file-alist prompt initial)

    Sacha> <grin> I prefer having as few prompts as I can, so I'd
    Sacha> probably go with just having @ complete properly in the
    Sacha> minibuffer (doesn't it?).  I have some code that
    Sacha> automatically picks up priority and status from the task
    Sacha> description, and I've been lazy enough to specify contexts
    Sacha> in task descriptions as well.

Hmm you have a good point and on reflection i think the extra prompt
may turn out to be less useful.  Currently if i forget to put a
context 'tag' at the beginning of my tasks it shows up when i print
out my Next Action list, and i correct them... it is low cost when i
forget, my prompt is an up front cost on every task.  Maybe i should
have done a better usability study with my user community (me).

    Sacha> there's probably a reason why you wrote your code
    Sacha> the way you did... =)

Oh i think you give me too much credit [grin]

Thanks for the feedback,  I'll go look at your sorting functions
tonight; but after trying out planner-trunk i think i really like the
way it breaks out the sections which will allow me to visually jump
right to the context i want.  I'll have to try both ways and see which
works better.