Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Thoughts about Reverse Linking

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Thoughts about Reverse Linking
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:10:36 +0100

Jim Ottaway writes:

> That sounds very useful.

So i think as well.

> It would be good to have it available for non-planner pages as well.

A first attempt fetching planner pages that link to the current gnus
article at point:

(defun my-planner-find-gnus-message ()
  "Find the current message in planner pages."
  (interactive)
  (let ((id (regexp-opt (list (planner-gnus-get-message-id)))))
    (dired planner-directory)
    (dired-mark-files-containing-regexp id))
  (dired-next-marked-file))

> And to make it work for other annotations such as bibtex links: I
> keep lots of notes in a separate project, and it would be handy, for
> example, to be able to see all the notes that cite a bibtex entry
> that I am currently looking at.

... fetching the current bibtex entry at point in planner pages:

(defun my-planner-find-bibtex-entry ()
  "Find the bibtex entry at point in planner pages."
  (interactive)
  (let ((id (regexp-opt (list (planner-bibtex-annotation-new)))))
    (dired planner-directory)
    (dired-mark-files-containing-regexp id))
  (dired-next-marked-file))

> It could be slow searching through lots of pages. For speed you
> could, of course, save to a separate index file an alist mapping
> annotations to a list of pages. And have the index updated whenever
> a planner page is saved. Then you would only actually have to search
> through buffers modified since the last save.

The two functions above are pretty ugly - especially because they use
dired. We should have this functionnality from within planner, no?

I think it would be nice to have something like the gnus *registry* -
or the dynamically updated "index" you're mentionning.

--
Bastien