Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner tip #1: Overcome inbox insanity the

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner tip #1: Overcome inbox insanity the Planner way
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:40:08 +1000

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris McMahan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Excellent tips! I would add that if you DO link an email
>> message to your task, save the message into an
>> appropriate folder first. Once that mail message is moved
>> out of the inbox, any existing links are broken.
>
> I leave everything in my inbox. <sheepish grin> I don't
> actually dig through my inbox often, because I use
> hyperlinks or swish++.

I have mail in separate folders, but it's sorted
automatically by Gnus, using the `nnmail-split-methods'
variable.  Here's an example demonstrating a few simple
regexp patterns.

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      `(("mail.debian.cl"                                    ; Debian CL list
         ,(rx bol "Subject:" (0+ nonl) "[cl-debian]"))

        ("mail.debian.\\1"                                     ; Debian lists
         ,(rx bol (or "To" "From" "Cc") (regexp ":.* <?")
              "debian-" (group (1+ (any lower ?-))) "@lists.debian.org"))

        ("mail.savannah.\\1"                                 ; Savannah lists
         ,(rx bol (or "To" "From" "Cc") (regexp ":.* <?")
              (group (or "ratpoison-devel"
                         "emacs-wiki-discuss"))
              "@nongnu.org"))

        ("mail.misc"                                        ; everything else
         "")))

So you see by the time I see the mail, it's already been
moved into the appropriate folder (99.9% of the time).

--
Trent Buck, Student Errant