[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-deadline

From: Edgar Gonçalves
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-deadline
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:49:33 +0100

Hi, all! After being inactive on this wonderfull community for a few months,
i've managed to get back on track, and my my - things *are* better! I'm now
using planner-muse, got rid of planner-wiki for good, and the process was quite
painless. Later, upon some days of usage, and after having published my files
for the first time, I found a couple of issues:

.#1  planner-deadline: I had grown very fond of this package, but in this
  planner-muse version if I have many tasks with deadlines, wait a few days, and
  do a \M-x plan <RET> it gets only one deadlined-task into the current day. If
  I repeat the command, another one comes up to the current day. and so on and
  so forth, until I have all my tasks present... Here's the relevant
  configuration:
<code>
(planner-option-customized 'planner-carry-tasks-forward 0)
(require 'planner-deadline)
(add-hook 'planner-goto-hook 'planner-deadline-update)
</code>
  The variable planner-goto-hook has the value:
<code>
(planner-diary-insert-all-diaries-maybe
planner-deadline-update
planner-seek-to-first)
</code>

.#2  today page and calendar: I had my site using these, but now with muse I'm
not sure how to put these working. I'm under windows/cygwin, but that's just a
minor hassle (I normaly tweak the linking part of the today page to something
tht works on my system). But the settings I had in planner/emacs-wiki are no
longer valid... Anybody using these, please share your config with me :) This is
what I have tested (and doesn't work):
<code>
;; (require 'planner-calendar)
;; (add-hook 'muse-after-publish-hook 'planner-calendar-create-today-link)
;; (add-hook 'muse-publish-markup-regexps
'planner-calendar-insert-calendar-maybe)
</code>

.#3 Not so much a problem, but I thought that I could add appointments to a
diary sections, and after updating the section with my ~/.diary contents, my
previous appointments would still be there - now I've come to the conclusion
they get erased, only ~/.diary contents appear (using
planner-diary-insinuate). Now since I had only a "* Diary" section, now I
started using a "* Schedule" section as well, in order to accommodate all
non-diary appointments. Is this "the right way" (read "intended", if you want)
to use diary/schedule?

Related to this, I've come to the conclusion I only use diary to repeating
appointments and birthdays reminders (generated by the great bbdb-anniv). The
repeating appointments can fit in cyclic tasks (i think there are no cyclic
schedule entries, right?), but how are planner-users dealing with your pals
birthdays? Oh, and after having used bbdb-aniv, using yearly appointments/tasks
is not an option! :)

Otherwise, i'm very impressed with the planner evolution!

Cheers!
--
Edgar Gonçalves
Software Engineering Group @ INESC-ID