Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse, latex, hyper-links, and labels

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse, latex, hyper-links, and labels
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:29:13 +0100

> I didn't realize there was a \label{} tag.  This seems like a nice
> solution to the anchor problem.  I've now implemented this in
> patch-253.

The \label part works, but I can't coax a \ref command out of the
publishing.  I am not sure that it would work this way, anyway, since
\ref only takes one argument,  which is the label.  It usually only
typesets a section number, footnote number, or some other number,
depending on the context, so one typically types something like "see
section~\ref{sec:introduction}".  \ref{label}{description} would end
up, I would imagine, as something like "2.1description".

This is actually something of a problem, because \ref doesn't span
some text in the way that an html link does, the muse markup that
works for latex publishing wouldn't make sense for html markup, and
vice-versa.

At them moment the only thing that I can think of is to have some sort
of labelling convention, rather like the one used by reftex, so that
latex markup could generate the correct string for the current
context, and whatever is in the link description could be used for
html.  The same sort of thing is done by one or two latex packages,
such as prettyref. I have tried this out in the attached file; it
seems to work quite well.

--
Jim Ottaway