Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-frame: devote a frame to the Planne

From: Jesse Alama
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-frame: devote a frame to the Planner
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:48:00 -0700

Paul Lussier <address@hidden> writes:

> Jesse Alama <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Today I decided finally to devote some time to making planner better
>> for me. I often wanted to think of planner as a bona fide emacs
>> application in its own frame like emacs-w3m and gnus, but I ended up
>> having to really work to think about planner this way.  Part of that
>> is to be expected: Planner is supposed to be a kind of pervasive
>> application in the way that emacs-w3m and gnus are not.  Nonetheless,
>> it seems to me that some progress can be made by putting the Planner
>> in its own frame, making it more like emacs-w3m (see
>> `w3m-pop-up-frames') and gnus (`gnus-other-frame').  The result is
>> planner-frame.el: a way to devote a distinguished frame to the
>> Planner.
>
> Hmm, I've been essentially doing this same thing with elscreen.  I
> fire up emacs, and start elscreen, which is to emacs what gnu screen
> is to xterm.
>
> I have one tab for each of: gnus, planner, erc, and eshell.  For the
> most part, the related buffers never stray, and C-x b "Does the right
> thing" in each tab.  But, since everything is running in the same
> session, remember is always there :)
>
> You can find out more here:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EmacsLispScreen

I too used elscreen for a while, and while I was using it I did
essentially what you did: put my applications on single frame.
Although it was close to what I was looking for, still it wasn't ideal
because it put things into a single frame.  I actually like to have
multiple frames: I fire up multiple emacs applications in distinct
frames and then use Mac OS X's excellent Expose feature to move
among my frames.

I also played around with Drew Adams's 1on1
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs), but this seemed
to be overkill, generally speaking.  More specifically, some of the
features don't seem to work on Mac OS X (at least, I couldn't get them
to work) and it made working with gnus a real challenge.

Remember is "always there" even when one commits a frame to the
Planner :->

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (address@hidden)e