[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie to planner.el and GTD

From: Joseph Kiniry
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Newbie to planner.el and GTD
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:44:33 +0100

Hi Sacha and Matiyam,

On 22 Sep, 2005, at 16:20, Matiyam wrote:

I was wondering how does people manage to implement their GTD systems with planner.el . I have read about people using it, and asking for detailed features for planner, but i haven't understood yet the general way of how they use it.

My basic strategy is to collect tasks into groups and use planner- trunk to build categorised summaries. I have a ToDo task that tracks miscellaneous tasks and a ToDone task where I occasionally move old closed tasks to keep ToDo shorter than a page or two.

To get a top-level view of all my work I use the ToDo task that lists all top-level projects in the Notes section, has (currently hand- built) calendars of the current, previous, and next months day pages, and links to previous completed and archived work.

I have a top-level task for each research project I lead or participate in, each piece of software I work on/with, each student I work with, each course I teach, etc.

I have begun recently (after several years of planner use) to aggressively use planner-trunk and planner-rank to organise tasks and rank their (currently only deadline-driven) importance. My trunks mirror the above top-level task structure. Examples of my trunks include: "System Issues", "Personal Stuff", "My Postgrad Students", "Other Students", "My Collaborators", "Projects and Grants", "My Courses", "My Software", "Current Conferences", "My Publications", "Emacs Stuff", and "UCD and CSI"

Once I get comfortable with the current meta-HEAD I mentioned in my last email I'll likely write a few functions that help uber-users like me. Besides a few little bugs I'd like to fix, I want to be able to generate calendar tables for weekly/monthly/yearly indices, track tasks across multiple days (i.e. not *move* an in-progress task from yesterday to today, but *copy* it), and more. I'll be filing feature requests and bug reports on these issues at the Gna site in the coming days.