Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Thinking about planning

From: Curran Nachbar
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Thinking about planning
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:41:17 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't digested all of this yet, since I'm not "supposed" to be tweaking my home-planner while at work ;)

but I wanted to give the following idea a big "HELL YES!"

Maybe I can make a next-actions function that goes through a list of
projects and tells me what the next action is. When I have
unexpectedly free time, I can hit a shortcut to call that function,
and it will list the most important task (and perhaps the least
important as well? ;) ) in various pages.

As a GTD-style user, this would be so freakin' awesome... right now I am using planner-multi to assign the next doable action from each project to a "context" page as well (@Phone, @Errands, @Home, etc.) so that only doable next actions show up on my lists. A next-actions function would take a little tweaking, to play well with this, but it would be a really good start for getting all of my context lists onto a single page, perhaps sorted by context.

Something else I have been thinking about -- the collection of all "done" tasks onto a single page, tagged and sorted by date done -- is a bit similar to this. Right now I am maintaining my old "tadas" text file alongside my planner pages, until I sort out how I want to do it. I'm trying to avoid having a proliferation of short/empty date pages in the Plans folder.

Thanks for thinking out loud to the list -- you're generating ideas. :)

Curran