[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-multi & planner-timeclock not playing nicel

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-multi & planner-timeclock not playing nicely
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:26:19 -0400

Hi all,

There seem to be a few things going wrong with my planner.  The first is
that when I use planner-multi to add a new link to a task, my timelog
is not updated.  This results in essentially a new project being
tracked by planner-timeclock.  For instance, if I had the folling task:

  #A3  o new sources.lists {{Tasks:659}} (DebianMirror)

it results in an entry in my timelog file like:

2005/08/29 10:48:06 DebianMirror: new sources.lists {{Tasks:659}}

If I then latter added a link to another project using planner-multi-xref-task
such as:

  #A3  o  new sources.lists {{Tasks:659}} (DebianMirror OSConfig 2005.08.29)

when I next clock into this task, it results in an entry like:

2005/08/29 10:48:06 DebianMirror [[OSConfig]] [[2005.08.29]]: new sources.lists
{{Tasks:659}}

For reporting purposes, I assume these two lines will be seen as
completely different tasks, which is not at all what I'd expect.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'd expect planner-multi-xref-task to also
call planner-update-task, which should also update the timelog file,
no?

The second thing which seems to be happening is this.  I tend to try
and neaten up my planner pages such that everything is somewhat
aligned:

 #A1  _ a task                      {{Tasks:111}} (ProjectPage1)
 #A2  _ somewhat longer task        {{Tasks:111}} (ProjectPage2)
 #A3  _ a really, really, long task {{Tasks:111}} (ProjectPage3)

However, even calling planner-update-task on each task once re-aligned
seems not to update the entries in my timelog file.  I'm assuming this
will result in multiple entries for the same task in reports, since at
the very least, the whitespace in the tasks changes between the
planner page entry and the timelog file entry.  It seems to me that
the timelog entries should reduce the task line to atoms which get
joined by a single space so that differences in the planner files
won't affect timeclock.  IOW, I shouldn't see timelog entries like:

   ProjectPage1: a task                      {{Tasks:111}}
   ProjectPage2: somewhat longer task        {{Tasks:111}}
   ProjectPage3: a really, really, long task {{Tasks:111}}

rather, I would expect/like to see something like:

   ProjectPage1: a task {{Tasks:111}}
   ProjectPage2: somewhat longer task {{Tasks:111}}
   ProjectPage3: a really, really, long task {{Tasks:111}}

(perhaps most people get that, and I'm the only one who gets seemingly
broken behavior because I'm mucking with the alignment in the first
place? :)

Which leads to my third problem, I can't seem to get reports from
planner-timeclock-summary-*.  All I get, no matter what I do, is an
otherwise empty buffer reporting:

 Timeclock summary report for 2005.08.29

I suspect the problem is a corrupted timelog file, and indeed, I've
found several blank lines in there, and ever a couple of instances
where I've had multiple, sequential "clock-outs" without a clock-in
between them.

Is there a file-format verifier? I'm thinking of writing one if one
doesn't exist, it seems this should be fairly simple to do given the
description in timeclock-log-data...

--

Seeya,
Paul