[emacs-wiki-discuss] Use of multiple dynamic projects in planner muse?

From: Tim O Callaghan
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Use of multiple dynamic projects in planner muse?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:46:06 +0100 (IST)

Hi,

I've just finished migrating from planner-emacs-wiki to planner-muse. I
have been trying to set up a GTD type planner setup (without day
pages), and i thought i would ask on the list first to see if my idea
is feasible, or even better - done already ;)

My basic idea is to try and allow me to create dynamic GTD project
environments, mixing muse: content, planner-muse (p-muse): to-do lists
and per-project directories. A project could consist of a planner file
or possibly a sub-directory with planner & muse file(s) + work (code &
reference docs). This way when i point muse/p-muse at a directory
tree, it can make a good guess at the active projects in the tree.

I would like to split the planner from the muse when it comes to writing, to
work in a pure muse mode rather than p-muse. I have been thinking of
using the auto-mode-alist with a .plan & .muse extension but i thought
i would check if there was a p-muse extension or recognizer?

I have XEmacs environments on quite a few different machines, each of
which will have one or more projects, some possibly unique to that
machine. So I would like muse/planner muse to be able to cope automagicaly
when a project is or isn't there.
Say i have a project 'foosabilty study', and i want to move it from
"~/projects-maybe/foosabilty study/" to "~/projects-active/foosabilty
study/". I want XEmacs to cope with the changes without having to
re-write my muse-project-alist, or even restart XEmacs.

I want to have loosely coupled muse-wiki inter-wiki links based on
project names that will accommodate them being moved around and deal
with them not being there at all.

What do people think?

While i was thinking about this, i also wondered about the idea of a
planner-muse-imap mode. Not for sending emails, but for using a remote
imap server to store project directories and/or project trees.  My
reasoning is that i could host a few of my higher level, cross site
projects and ad-hoc to-do lists in a filesystem that i can access and
change from any imap mail client, such as the one on my PDA.

I thought I'd throw the idea out for discussion before i asked for it
as a feature though :)

Tim.