[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner: why "move" tasks instead of copy?

From: Guy Berliner
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner: why "move" tasks instead of copy?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:39:44 -0700

I'm very new to planner mode, so I probably don't understand it all that
well. But I'm trying to figure out some basic things. One thing that
kind of mystifies me: Why "move" tasks instead of copying them? I
noticed that, when I type "M-x plan" at the beginning of the day, all
the tasks I was working on the day before that are unfinished get MOVED
(not copied) to today. But why? If I was working on them, and logged
time on them yesterday, would it not make more sense to COPY those
tasks? Why have a file on the disk with yesterday's date that doesn't
show all the tasks I worked on that day, but only the ones I finished?

The "argumentum ad absurdum" I would make is: suppose I worked on a
bunch of stuff that day, got a lot done, but didn't actually bring any
of those tasks to a state of perfection. Nonetheless, I feel good about
the day, and yet, the file for that day is EMPTY! That certainly seems
to suggest I didn't do much, a very counterintuitive result I would
argue. And an empty file is not a very useful file, any way you look at it.

So, is there a way to change this default behavior so that the
unfinished tasks always get copied instead of moved?)

--
Guy Berliner
sysadmin