[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sorting tasks in planner

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sorting tasks in planner
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:49:33 -0400

address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:

> What is the sort based on? I notice that it does sort by tasks A,
> then B, then C, but the tasks themselves seem to be always sorted by
> the entry order.

I could probably wring an entire masteral thesis on task sorting. =)
People have so many different ways of doing it! You can do anything
you want, including shuffling them randomly.

> I need to learn some lisp, so I can have them sorted alphabetically,
> if I so desire?

Nope, you don't need to learn Lisp to do fun stuff like that. Just
tell us what you want and we'll help you figure out what to do. You
can learn Emacs Lisp in order to experiment with it further, and
having examples that fit you is a great way to start.

Here's some code for your ~/.emacs that just sorts tasks
alphabetically, regardless of status.

(defun david/planner-sort-tasks-alphabetically ()
 "Sort tasks alphabetically."
 (planner-task-description (planner-current-task-info)))
(setq planner-sort-tasks-key-function 'david/planner-sort-tasks-alphabetically)

You can take a look at various functions like
planner-sort-tasks-basic, planner-sort-tasks-by-date, and
planner-sort-tasks-by-link for more complicated examples. =)

We'd love to hear how you'd like Planner to support the way you work
(or would like to work)! =)
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, juggling