[emacs-wiki-discuss] Initial version of muse-xml.el

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Initial version of muse-xml.el
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:27:20 -0500

I've provided an initial implementation of muse-xml.el in the
experimental folder of the latest development version of Muse.  Let me
know what you think of it.

I made use of Peter's planner-publish.el quite a bit, and I *really*
like how he's made a separation of planner's publishing functions from
the rest of planner.  If I can find the time, I'd like to make a
"planner-html" style based on his work to include with Planner--Muse.

I've also tried to take a few ideas from the DocBook format, like
<pageinfo></pageinfo> in the header.  I also make an attempt to
surround paragraphs with the <p> tag.

If you use multiple levels of headers, they will be nested.  For
example:

* Level 1 header
Content
** Level 2 header
*** Level 3 header
More content
**** Level 4 header
** Level 2 header

publishes as (with some newlines trimmed):

<section title="Level 1 header">
Content
<section title="Level 2 header">
<section title="Level 3 header">
More content
<section title="Level 4 header">
</section>
</section>
</section>
<section title="Level 2 header">
</section>
</section>

I didn't use the sectionalize code, since Muse now has this ability
built in via the 'section-close string.  The sectionalize code does a
bit more than mine does, for example, providing a level="N" attribute.
If this is needed, I could extend muse-publish.el to provide the level
as a number.  It's up to you.

Feel free to let me know of ways that this could be improved.  I'm not
at all an XML guru :^) .  Likewise, if there's anything that I could
add to it that would make Planner-XML publishing easier, let me know!

Thinking in advance: Once this gets solid and people are happy with
muse-xml, it'd be great if someone could provide a DTD document for
it, or whatever else is needed.  I'm not sure whether copyright would
need to be assigned to the FSF for such a document to be included with
Muse.  Do you know whether or not this is the case, John?

Thinking farther in advance: Eventually it would indeed be good to
have such styles as poem-xml, book-xml, journal-xml, and so on.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp