[emacs-wiki-discuss] Muse now supports nested sections

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Muse now supports nested sections
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:03:04 -0500 (EST)

"Peter K.Lee" <address@hidden> writes:

> I really like the idea of having XML publishing for XSLT
> manipulation to generate any form of output.
>
> While I was writing the planner-sectionalize.el routine I published
> earlier this month, I initially attempted to convert the detected
> sections into an intermediary <section title="...">...</section>
> markup in which muse can be extended to markup section tags just
> like it handles example, verbatim type markup tags.
>
> However, once I realized that muse (in current form) does not handle
> nested tags nicely, I scrapped the idea and went straight with what
> I wanted, which was to generate HTML div tags in nested fashion for
> publishing.

I was having similar problems with the DocBook publishing style, so I
implemented a general methodology for nested sections in Muse.  To see
them in action, take a look at muse-docbook.el, the
`muse-docbook-markup-strings' customizable option.

In particular:

 - section, section-end -- Level 1 header/section
 - subsection, subsection-end -- Level 2 header/section
 - subsubsection, subsubsection-end -- Level 3 header/section
 - section-other, section-other-end -- Level 4 and up header/section
 - section-close -- Closing tag for nested sections

I've tried to implement this functionality on all known publishing
styles, even LaTeX and TexInfo.  The new section-close string came in
especially handy for marking up DocBook sections.

> I think I will be able to extend the functionality of
> planner-sectionalize to enable context-awareness based on title
> names, i.e. Tasks, Notes, Schedule section, and have each section
> call different parsing/markup routine.
>
> I'm not entirely certain how this will all fit in with current muse
> implementation down the road.  It does not appear that XML
> publishing plays well with generic publishing output capability that
> muse currently possesses.
>
> I'll take a crack at generating XML output from planner specifically
> at first, and I guess we can take it from there.
>
> Any other recommendations?

What you might want to do is make a new planner-specific publishing
style, and call it something like planner-xml.  I'm going to try to
take an initial stab at a Muse XML publishing style tomorrow, and
hopefully planner-xml could just derive from that, much like the
journal style derives from the html style in muse-journal.el.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp