[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Emacs Wiki publishing doesn't understand filena

From: drkm
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Emacs Wiki publishing doesn't understand filenames with space
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:12:40 +0200

Angus Lees writes:

> At Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:48:27 +0200, drkm wrote:

>> Angus Lees writes:

>> > Out of interest, why didn't you change it to use `make-symbolic-link'?
>> > To me, calling the elisp function seems without doubt to be the
>> > "right" thing to do.

>>   Because it doesn't work on Windows.

> Of course, but running "ln -s A B" probably isn't going to work either

  Indeed.  We need something other than these two wrong ways.
Perhaps something like this:

    (if (fboundp 'make-symbolic-link)
        (fset 'planner-calendar-make-symlink 'make-symbolic-link)
      (defun planner-calendar-make-symlink (filename newname)
        ... copy instead of make a link ...))

> (except in the native-win32-emacs-with-cygwin-tools-available corner case)

  No.  I use Cygwin and it's why I discover this problem.  The
Emacs I use it's not the one packaged for Cygwin, but IMHO it
doesn't mater.  It's right configured to find the Cygwin 'ln'.
And it find it.  But this 'ln' uses the native Windows
"shortcuts", which are not real links (for example, browsers
don't find them).

>> Or maybe the Sacha's proposition (copying the file content) is the
>> right one?

> Seems a reasonable fallback to me (assuming the OS doesn't have
> any other way of "linking")

  I think too.

--drkm