Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: 'planner-create-task-from-buffer' is not au

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: 'planner-create-task-from-buffer' is not autoloaded.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:20:27 +0200 (CEST)

,-- On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:30:30 +0800, Sacha Chua wrote:

| Frederik Fouvry <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes:
|
| > Not true.  When the autoloads are generated automatically, they
| > are also stored in a file, and only loading that file will make
| > them available.  So where's the difference (except for not having
| > to update the file manually)?
|
| Right, excellent idea. I'll add that within the week. =) Or someone
| can be ultranice and put autoload markers on all the useful functions.

And variables.  (Useful to make package variables available to
external packages before loading the file.)  But probably
defcustom() variables are automatically autoloaded ...

Looking at the results of the autoload generation is also a nice
way to check if the user interface(s) make(s) sense.

Some guidelines: if a function starts with an (interactive ...)
declaration, it is a good/likely candidate for autoload.
Interactive functions that are never called first thing in
Planner (such as planner-renumber-tasks) need not be autoloaded,
because planner mode is loaded first anyway.

| We also need the eval-after-load stuff, I think. That's pretty
| handy...

Yes, it's very useful to postpone autoloading for Planner modules
until they're needed.  Where you use it, an eval-when-compile
will come in useful as well (reduces compiler warnings).

Frederik