[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Xtla patch-sending hack

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Xtla patch-sending hack
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:33:32 +0200

Hi Michael!

> I was a bit frustrated with the lack of a general "patch-sending"
> mechanism for xtla, so I adapted my own from the `tla-submit-patch'
> function.  I call it `tla-submit-patch-to'.  It would be *really* nice
> if the xtla developers could integrate something similar upstream.
>
> Call it from the directory that you've made changes to, and it should
> automatically guess most of the appropriate parameters, with the
> exception of the email address to send it to.

As you have noted in your follow up, there is already a mechanism to
do that in Xtla1.1

And you can additionaly specify rules to guess the correct email for
the patch to send via tla-submit-patch-mapping.

For the people that don't know that feature.

With Xtla it is very easy to send a patch that uses GNU Arch:

Just hack your checked out copy. And do M-x tla-submit-patch

That will create a mail with an attached changeset. That can be sent
to the author.

You can even fill in a log message. The header line should contain the
summary line. Between the log markers you can add your additional
description.

If the patch receiver uses Gnus, he can view the patch via K t v
Or he can apply the patch via K t a.
(to use that bindings, "(tla-insinuate-gnus)" must be in your .emacs)

When the patch is applied, just do a commit and hit C-c C-p to fill
in the prepared log message.

Stefan.