[emacs-wiki-discuss] Bug: Customization of muse-wiki-wikiword-regexp to

From: Allen Halsey
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Bug: Customization of muse-wiki-wikiword-regexp to disable CamelCase
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:05:24 -1000

I tried to turn off CamelCase wiki words using the customization
facility.

Through the customization facility, I changed the value of
muse-wiki-wikiword-regexp from its default value of:

  \<\(\(?:[[:upper:]][[:lower:]]+\)\(?:[[:upper:]][[:lower:]]+\)+\)\>

to:

  !!!!!

an unlikely to occur string, as suggested here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general/1475

This change had no effect. CamelCase words were still being
interpretted as links.

I traced it to that fact that this setting needs to be done _before_
you load muse (because of the way certain other regexp are
dynamically constructed).

By default, emacs puts customization at the bottom of the .emacs
file.

I successfully disabled CamelCase by changing this variable _above_ my
(require 'muse-mode) line, like this:

  (setq muse-wiki-wikiword-regexp "!!!!!")
  (require 'muse-mode)

Alternatively, I could have moved the customization area of my
.emacs file to be at the top, but that causes a lot of other
problems.

In this light, I recommend removing muse-wiki-wikiword-regexp from
the customization facility. Being there misleads people into
thinking that changing its value through the customization facility
will have an effect.

Ideally, there should be a yes/no customization for whether
CamelCase wiki words are desired.

Allen