[emacs-wiki-discuss] File-specific notes page

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] File-specific notes page
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:50:44 -0500

I've been thinking about this for a while.  This isn't specifically
emacs-wiki, planner-mode or muse-mode related, but I think that it
fits with the kinds of things that are being done with this list, and
I need a place to put these thoughts and get suggestions.

I often am working on a file, especially a paper, and I have bits and
pieces that are relevant to what I'm typing... sections of text that
need to be rewritten but still included and such... and I have to put
them somewhere, but not in the file.  For example, I'm writing a paper
about an interview I held with one of my professors.  One section
needed to be incorporated somewhere else, but not yet at anything I
had written.  I've tried doing a few things... pasting it at the end
of the file then narrowing the region, putting it in my daily file in
the notes section, or (most dangerously) putting it in the scratch
buffer.  None of these quite seem to do what I would like.  Narrowing
just leaves it trailing at the end, which doesn't always work when it
has to be reincoporated into the center, and especially doesn't work
when I'm writing up some quick notes of an outline or something.
Putting in my planner file often gets it mixed up with other things,
or doesn't carry over from one day to the next.  Sometimes it works if
I have a specific planner page dedicated to the project I'm working
on, but of course that isn't always the case.  And putting it in the
scratch buffer has all the problems the daily page has and more.

So I've come up with an idea... something like a "scratch page" that
is linked to a specific file, but really more for notes.  It should be
able to be called from the buffer you're working on by a simple key
sequence, possibly into another window (or frame, as the rest of the
world calls it).  Then, in the notes file, typing that key sequence
again should bring you right back to where you were working.

It can be stored somewhat similar to the backup files that emacs
keeps.  In my situation, as with most sane emacs users, I have my
backup files saved to a special directory called "~/.backup".  The
same thing can probably be done with the notes files.

Does this make sense?

Chris