Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Adding an index to Muse project pages

From: R Fieldsend
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Adding an index to Muse project pages
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:07:37 +0100

On Thursday 23 June 2005 05:19, Michael Olson opened a hailing frequency and
said:
> I tried playing around with it to see if I could get the desired
> effect.  The following might work, but I'm not able to tell for
> certain.
>
> <lisp>(muse-publish-markup-string
>         (muse-index-as-string t t) "xhtml")</lisp>
>
> > Alternatively, is there a place to create a 'template' core page so
> > that I could enter the code into this page, and its always generated
> > for every page I write?  (in the same way that planenr has a
> > template * tasks \\ * notes etc.
>
> Would you want the contents of the template to be inserted when a new
> Muse file is created (which is how Planner does it) or would you want
> something like the following?
>
> (setq muse-page-template "
> <DOCTYPE line ...>
> <head>
> </head>

>   <!-- index goes here -->
>
> %body%  <!-- normal contents of Muse page get inserted here -->

> ")
>
> What Muse would do is:
>
>  - Open up the file to be published to (i.e. pagename.html).
>  - Insert muse-page-template.
>  - Insert the body of "pagename" where %body% is.
>  - Publish the entire page using the normal rules for the style
>    (i.e. HTML).

Hi Michael,
thanks for this. I tried the code:

<lisp>(muse-publish-markup-string
         (muse-index-as-string t t) "xhtml")</lisp>

in the header for xhtml and the result is the same as before, but thanks for
trying.

If I were to choose, I think I'd go for the Planner way of doing things, where
the page is presented with various code already in place, and you can then
add the text you wish as appropriate.  By default I would guess that this
would start off as an empty file, but the user could then add to the page any
bits that they felt appropriate.

However, it looks like this isn't a widely held requirement, so if you'd
rather I just entered the code myself (after all, I could set up a template
block file and just C-x i it for every new file), then I'm happy with that.
The rest of Muse is so useful it would be churlish to reject it because of
this issue!

Thanks for your help, and I'll let you get back to porting planner now! :o)

regards

Richard
Richard Fieldsend

Random thought #188 (Collect all 392)
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who
don't have it.  - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

For secure communication I use GPG/PGP. You can find information on using
open source encryption at http://www.gnupg.org/ and my public key at
http://www.r.fieldsend.btinternet.co.uk/secure/