[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-browse-position-url quick fix

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-browse-position-url quick fix
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:02:05 +0200

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Welcome to the wonderful world of Planner. <laugh>

Thanks!  :-)

> We'd love to hear what else we can get it to do for you, just like
> Gnus does all sorts of strange things! =)

Well, as I said, I had been using plain text files, which works okay
because there's absolutely no limit to what you can do; on the other
hand, you have to do everything yourself and editing those files becomes
painful after a while...

I was already using remember.el (I started using it in 2001) to jot down
notes and the like during the day, I love how you can use it to note
something without breaking your natural flux--a real win for
concentration.  The main appeal of Planner right now is that it can
create (and manage) tasks from these notes for me.  With my previous
method, I had to go through my notes periodically and move them to the
appropriate TODO files.  Now I can just hit my planner key on them and
I'm done.

The other thing I like about Planner is that it's written in Emacs Lisp
and is thus infinitely moldable, it allows me to write stuff like

I didn't have a chance to test all the modules yet, but from a quick
tour, planner-id and planner-gnus are absolutely indispensable,
planner-appt is nice (though I had to hack it otherwise it added
duplicate entries to the Emacs appt list on each file save), and
planner-trunk is handy.  I'd like to get started with planner-multi but
when I enable it, it wikifies page names twice (like
[[%5D%5DFoo%5D%5D]]), I'll have to dig a bit to understand what's going
on.

So far, Planner is indeed surprisingly similar to Gnus: large, scary,
inhumanly tweakable and immoderately powerful.  I love it!  :-)

Thanks for a useful tool,

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | And you never lay down and
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | you never stay home...