[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Special characters escaping

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Special characters escaping
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:30:19 -0500

Julien Barnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Next, well, a little problem. I use muse with the latest main arch
> version, and I have some difficulties with special characters.

Thanks for the report.

> In html-xhtml publishing, it seems that special characters such as
> <, " or & are only escaped into entities if they are inside a markup
> tag (such as <example>...</example> or even =...=). Otherwise, they
> are not transformed.

Hmm, that seems to be a the intended behavior.

Would it be acceptable for Muse to escape these characters if one of
the following is true?

 1. Inside <verbatim>, <example>, or "=".
 2. Not next to any word-constituent (alphanumeric) charters.

We really don't want to escape "<" if it is part of a custom tag, for
example.

Are there any other scenarios that should be handled specially?

> In latex or pdf publishing, I have a problem with special characters
> in extended links. If I put a link like :
>
>   [[http://url_withUnderscore/][http://url_withUndescore/]]
>
> the second underscore is not escaped into \_, producing a latex
> compilation error.

This does seem to be a bug.  I'll add it to our wiki page and try to
address it after the release.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp