Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: CamelCase with non US-ASCII chars.

From: fouvry+emacs-wiki
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: CamelCase with non US-ASCII chars.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:30:39 +0200 (CEST)

,-- On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:36:50 -0500, Michael Olson wrote:

[...]

| If you're using Emacs from CVS, things should "just work".  Otherwise,
| customize the values of `emacs-wiki-regexp-upper',
| `emacs-wiki-regexp-lower', and `emacs-wiki-regexp-alnum' to include
| the special characters that you use.  I would love to have someone
| send me some good default values in various languages for these
| variables.

Normally, Emacs should already contain correct settings for these
character classes, i.e. you should just be able to rely on them
given the current locale in Emacs, and these values should not be
your worry.  (From that viewpoint, those variables are a layer
too many.)

Practically however, it may be wise to keep the variables to
catch incomplete settings in Emacs (perhaps you could extend the
documentation of these variables/constants to make that clear).

In my version of Emacs (CVS), with language environment latin 1
and/or latin 9, all accented characters are recognised correctly
by [:lower:], except for the French ½ (oe ligature; upper and
lower), the German ß (sz; only lowercase form exists), and ¾ for
an unknown language.  (There are a few more that look like
characters, but that are wrong renderings of certain encodings.
They're correctly not recognised as lowercase characters.)  The
trick is to start Emacs in the correct locale environment (LANG),
and Emacs will set up the tables for you.

Cheers,

Frederik