[emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki 2.69 released

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki 2.69 released
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:39:50 -0500

I have released emacs-wiki 2.69.  It is available at
http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacs-wiki/emacs-wiki-2.69.tar.gz.
This release corresponds with emacs-wiki--main--1.0--patch-64.  The
focus of this release is stability and compatibility rather than
additional features.

* Changes

 - If you have tried out the development version of emacs-wiki within
   the past 2 months, you may have noticed that the automatic linking
   of WikiNames during publish-time was not working.  I have fixed
   that.

 - I have tried to make Fill mode play nicely with emacs-wiki so that
   long extended links will not be broken up.

 - Likewise, flyspell should not try to color anything that is
   interpreted by emacs-wiki as a link.  This includes WikiNames,
   extended links, and URL's.  It is a known problem that this has no
   effect in Emacs21.  This isn't a huge concern for me because the
   main point of keeping flyspell away from links is that when
   flyspell colored links in CVS Emacs, it was making them
   "unclickable".  Flyspell does not mangle link properties in this
   way on Emacs21.

 - An odd `replace-match' error with XEmacs and the
   `emacs-wiki-escape-html-string' function has hopefully been
   resolved.

 - The pcomplete.el file has been removed from the contrib directory
   since it comes with nearly every version of (X)Emacs that we
   support, and it was causing trouble when it overrides a native
   version.

 - If you want to use emacs-wiki with a version of XEmacs that has
   been compiled without Mule support, it should work properly.  The
   `emacs-wiki-escape-url' function was one of the things that needed
   a quick fix to make this happen.

 - Smart quotes are used at publish time to replace ``quotes like
   this''.

 - Emacs-wiki should be capable of producing HTML 4.0 compliant
   output.  The idea is that you should be able to customize the value
   of `emacs-wiki-xhtml-inline-css' to nil and
   `emacs-wiki-xhtml-space-singles' to nil in order to accomplish
   this.  The default for both of these variables is non-nil, which
   produces XHTML 1.0 (and 1.1) compliant output.

 - A few XHTML validation issues regarding img tags have been
   resolved.

 - Backlinking functionality has been given a functionality boost.
   The code was slightly re-factored and the
   `emacs-wiki-exclude-backlink-parent-regexp' variable has been
   introduced, which indicates the parents whose children should not
   receive backlinks.

 - Menu generation is now template-driven, which should allow for much
   greater flexibility.

* Contributors

Thanks go to the following people for providing patches.

 - Trent Buck
 - Li Daobing
 - Jim Ottaway
 - Christopher San Diego

Thanks also to those who reported bugs.

* Plans

Andrea Riciputi would like to see tag completion (much like that in
auctex) in emacs-wiki, and has provided an initial version.  I plan to
merge this feature into the development version sometime soon.

The next two weeks I will be working hard (or so it is hoped) on
school-related projects, so I might be a bit delayed in responding to
requests/reports.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net -- IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #muse, #pulug