Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Message ID's sometimes not found?

From: Clair Ching
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Message ID's sometimes not found?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:54:52 +0800

On Apr 12, 2005 1:24 PM, Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote:
> > While I have your attention, there's one thing I'd really like to have
> > in Planner, which is a set of pages that behave just like day pages,
> > but are instead identified with weeks, months, quarters, and years.
> > The reason is that I want to make sure that I'm not losing sight of
> > the big pictuer while ticking off the day-by-day to-do items.  The day
> > pages allow me to say to myself "What do I have to do today?" and, at
> > the end of the day,   "Did I accomplish what I set out to do?"
> > I want to ask myself the same question for larger time units, like
> > weeks, months, etc.

Something like planner-tasks-overview but sorted by week, month or year?

> Hmmm... Now there's a good idea. How can we go about doing this?

> Setting overarching goals using tasks
> #A _ GOAL: April: Learn how to juggle (StreetPerformance)
>
> Create tasks to represent your goals. Label them with the time period
> and some way to let you know that this is a big goal, not a task
> you're supposed to do in one sitting. Let these tasks be carried
> forward every day until you finish the goal. If you have a goal for
> next month, schedule it onto the first day of the next month.

Right. This is good.

> We can do funky things with task sorting so that goals are sorted
> before or after your regular tasks. With planner-trunk (which needs to
> be documented someday), you can even automatically group tasks so that
> they're filed together with their goal or group all the goals
> together. With planner-multi, you can cross-reference the tasks onto a
> "goals" page so that you can see the big picture of your progress.
>
> You can experiment with this right away. We'll help you find ways to deal
> with task lists that grow long. =)

> Making it part of your day page
>
> For example, you could have a plan page that looks like this:
>
> 2005 | Learn three kinds of street performances
> 2005.04 | Learn how to juggle three balls
> 2005.05 | Learn how to juggle four and five balls
> 2005.06 | Learn how to do diabolo / chinese yoyo
>
> and we'll write code to pull the data into a Goals section on
> your day pages, like so:
>
> * Goals
>
> 2005 | Learn three kinds of street performances
> 2005.04 | Learn how to juggle three balls
>
> * Tasks
>
> * Notes
>
> The goals section is separate, and you get a nice overview from your
> goals page. If you like this idea, we can start writing the code for
> it... =)
>
> Any other interesting ways to deal with this? <grin>
> --

I am not sure but maybe you could have something like a modified
planner-tasks-overview =)
I have only been using it recently but it gives the specific date's
tasks overview.  If you could allow sorting of these tasks by weeks,
months, or years, that might help a bit so that the day page won't be
cluttered.

--
Clair Ching
librarian, bookworm, information gatherer, anime fan, linux newbie