[emacs-wiki-discuss] Flyspell & Planner Cause Emacs to Crash

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Flyspell & Planner Cause Emacs to Crash
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:15:25 -0500

I can get Emacs to crash by following a simple sequence of steps when
Flyspell-Mode is active.  By "crash," I mean that Windows reports, "The
instruction at XXXX referenced memory at YYYY.  The memory could not be
"read".  And I can click on OK or Cancel, which will either close Emacs
or open MS Visual Studio (my debugger, apparently.)

These are the steps:

1. Visit a page that has at least one Note.  The last Note needs to end
with a link that's "self-referencing" in that it refers to the file in
the buffer.  (This is what you usually get if you use Remember-planner.)
As well, the link must be a "misspelled" word, one not found in the
dictionary.
2. Move point to the end of the buffer. M->
3. Move point up until it's positioned on the same line as the last
link.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3.
5. Groan in despair as the crash occurs.

My .emacs is posted here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RaymondZeitler

I've had this problem for several weeks, actually.  But I haven't had
time to break it down into such a repeatable sequence until now.

For now I will work around this by making sure I add the names of all my
project pages to the dictionary.  But I'd like to fix this, so if you
use Emacs with both Planner and Flyspell on Windows, would you please
try this and see what happens?  If you don't get the crash, would you
please provide me with the details of your Flyspell setup, such as which
external Exe you use?  I use Ispell.exe 3.1.20, dated 1999-03-24.
Another thing is I have text-mode set up as the default file mode.
(This is how Flyspell mode gets activated.)

TIA

- Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>